At least 10 percent of people over the age of 65 experience elder abuse and neglect every year. In 2014, residents suffering from nursing home abuse and neglect lodged more than 14,000 complaints. It is essential to understand the different ways in which a nursing home can fail to take care of some of our most vulnerable populations.
Types of Nursing Home Neglect
A report from the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) found that neglect is the most unreported crime against elders, with about 1 in every 57 cases going unreported. Nursing home neglect involves the mistreatment of nursing home residents, resulting in their suffering. Types of neglect can include:
- Medical Neglect - A nursing home can fail to provide adequate and necessary medical care, leading to potentially life-threatening complications for the resident.
- Basic Needs Neglect - Nursing homes can also fail to provide residents with sufficient food, water or even a clean environment, resulting in malnutrition and dehydration.
- Personal Hygiene Neglect - When a nursing facility neglects its duty to maintain a resident's hygiene, such as proper dental care or bathing, medical issues could arise.
Forms of Nursing Home Abuse
Even though neglect is often seen as a form of elder abuse, it can sometimes be less direct than its counterparts. While neglect can be intentional (abandonment), it is mainly the result of untrained personnel and gross negligence. Most types of elder abuse involve active wrongdoing of the nursing facility or caregiver. These forms of elder abuse can be:
- Physical Abuse - Kicking, pushing, slapping, bruising
- Psychological Abuse - verbal harassment, taunting, isolation
- Financial Abuse - stealing funds, scamming, embezzlement
- Sexual Abuse
Do You Suspect Your Loved One Is Not Receiving Adequate Care?
Discovering that your loved one has been taken advantage of after thinking that you placed them into the care of a nursing facility can be a difficult thing to grasp. If you suspect that your loved one is experiencing a form of nursing home abuse or neglect, your trusted Charlotte nursing home negligence attorney at Benoit Law Firm will provide you with the legal representation needed to secure your justice.
Call us at (877) 909-4088 to schedule your free consultation.