If you sustain injuries as a passenger in a rideshare accident, you probably have questions as to what to do in order to receive the compensation you deserve.
Read on to learn about liability following a rideshare accident.
Who is Responsible?
Rideshare drivers are not employees of their respective companies—they’re independent contractors. This is a very important distinction when it comes to liability because companies have a legal responsibility to provide coverage when their employees make mistakes. However, if workers are classified as independent contractors, the companies that provide their paychecks are not legally required to take financial responsibility for their workers’ mistakes.
Every rideshare company out there demands that its drivers carry their own car insurance policies. In addition, Uber and Lyft carry extra coverage for their drivers in order to shield both the driver and their passengers in the event of a wreck.
Here’s a breakdown of Uber & Lyft’s driver insurance coverage:
- If the driver didn’t have their app on and wasn’t working at the time of the accident, they’re only covered by their own insurance policy.
- If the driver had their app on but didn’t have an active ride at the time of the wreck, they’re covered under liability insurance up to:
- $50,000 per person for bodily injury
- $100,000 per crash for bodily injury
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
- From the moment the driver accepts a ride until they reach their passenger’s destination, they’re protected by auto liability and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
- The coverage provided is up to $1 million per accident for injuries.
- For property damage, they’ll be covered under contingent collision and comprehensive coverage up to the buyout value of the vehicle, or the cost of the repairs, whichever costs less.
We’re Here For Your Support
If you’ve been injured as a passenger in a rideshare accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Our attorneys here at Benoit Law Firm, PLLC are highly experienced in this area of the law and have helped many others just like you. Don’t hesitate to contact our firm with your case right away.
Call the Charlotte lawyers at Benoit Law Firm, PLLC today at (877) 600-7212 to speak with an attorney about your personal injury case.