Drunk drivers are a serious danger to themselves and everyone else on the road around them. That’s why it is so important to report drunk drivers when you come across them.
However, it’s impossible to report a drunk driver if you cannot first identify their behaviors. Read on to learn some tips for identifying and reporting drunk drivers.
How to Report a Drunk Driver in North Carolina
To report a drunk driver, call 9-1-1 or use your cell phone to dial *HP (*47) or (800) 622-7956 to reach Highway Patrol. Give the dispatcher your location, speed, and details of the dangerous car on the road.
If there is a passenger in your car, have them call either 911 or the number of Highway Patrol. If you don’t have a passenger with you, be sure to maintain safe driving by utilizing your hands-free device to call in your report. It’s important that you avoid driving recklessly while reporting another reckless driver.
How to Identify a Drunk or Reckless Driver
Intoxicated and reckless drivers tend to exhibit distinct behaviors that you can watch out for. If you notice a driver consistently displaying any or all of the behaviors below, it is essential to all nearby drivers’ safety to report the individual.
Common behaviors exhibited by reckless drivers:
- Rapid acceleration or deceleration
- Weaving or zig-zagging around the road
- Driving on surfaces other than roads designated for vehicles
- Coming close to striking an object, curb, or vehicle
- Stopping for no reason or volatile braking
- Drifting in and out of driving lanes
- Signals inconsistent with driving actions
- Delayed reaction to traffic signals
- Straddling the center lane marker
- Headlights off while driving in the dark
- Driving slower than 10 mph below the speed limit
- Turning suddenly or illegally
- Driving on the opposite side of the road into oncoming traffic
Injured By a Reckless Driver?
If you were unable to reach law enforcement in time and were injured as a result of a collision with a drunk driver, you may be owed compensation for your damages. Let our team at the Benoit Law Firm, PLLC see if we can help you recover the money you deserve.